Star King (놀라운 대회 스타킹; 놀라운大會 스타킹) is a South Korean television show which first aired on January 13, 2007 on the SBS network. Star King is the first TV show in Korea to run both online and on television simultaneously.
SBS Star King (스타킹) is a talent variety program that airs on the Saturdays. On this show they have different challengers (about 6 different performances) each week that compete for the title "STAR KING". During each show they will invite guests as judges, and there are also some regular judges on the show. The judges decide who will stay to compete with last week's challenger, and only two different performers can stay. The audience then chooses who they like best between the two challengers and the one with more votes gets to stay to challenge the winner from last week.
The winner of the week will get to choose between the cash prize for the first win, which is 2 million (that is approximately CAD$2500) or coming back the following week to challenge again and possibly win 3 million. If they lose the second challenge they will only get half of their prize, which is 1 million (approximately CAD$1250).
The show is composed of four segments:
- Only This (딸랑 이거): featuring people with a humorous or unusual skill.
- Train Me! (키워주세요): for contestants seeking to be famous.
- Diet King (다이어트 킹): focusing on people attempting to lose weight. Shawn Lee, a previous winner, lost approximately 40 kg in 60 days.
Viewers upload videos of unusual events and stories to the official website. People and animals with unusual talents are then invited onto the program after being selected from these videos. The audience votes for their favorite person, video or story, and prize money is awarded to the contestant who receives the most votes.
Episodes typically feature people from a variety of countries, including Brazil, Mongolia and Kenya. Participants are of all ages.
At one point, Star King held the top spot in audience ratings of any prime time TV show on Saturday. It suffered a drop in ratings after a "fabrication"scandal.
Star King was originally hosted by Kang Ho Dong, a well-known emcee, who left the show among controversy.
Winners and Guests
- Season 1: Grandpa Rain
- Season 2: 11-year-old BoA
- Seasons 3 and 4: 40-year-old Dong Bang Shin Ki
- Season 6: 10-year-old Ballad Genius Baek Ye-rin (now a member of 15)
- Seasons 8 and 9: 5-year-old Mozart
- Season 16: Magic Rainbow dance
- Season 18 and 19: Dangerous boy
- Season 21, 22, and 23: Gugak boy
- Season 24 and 25: Spider man
- Season 26: Fire breathing human
- Season 33: One legged B-boy
- Season 34: Treasure of Mongo